Last post I mentioned I was going to work on the fireplace wall. I finished it about a month ago (shall I apologize again? This time without placing blame on anyone but myself?), and it looks fabulous! Here's what the rocks looked like before I started (notice that loverly mustard color?!):
I started putting the stain on with a rag (I used Minwax Red Oak), and liked the look okay, but trust me, it looked better in this photo than on the wall itself...
I then bought a cheap paint brush (50 cents at WalMart) and finished applying the stain that way. It ran down the rock, and I brushed as it ran. It hit more of the crevices that way and gave more of a highlighting effect than the rag approach had. It also allowed me to stain the cement "grout" much easier!
After that was done, I painted the mantle black. It was time consuming and messy, but I liked the end result:
Again, the pictures don't quite do it justice, but you get the idea.
A few days later I painted the wall, using my sofa bench from my last post and the framed image of Christ I received for Christmas as the inspiration pieces.
As a reminder, this is what it looked like before I started:
Now the carpet and tile need to be tackled...maybe this Fall?
Everything else in the room is coming together though. I scored some window scarves and a side table at yard sales the first of June that ended up in the room, as well as that small clock that sits on the table (total cost for all 4 items = $5.00)...
And I finished painting the lamps their new coppery shade... now I need to address the blah looking lamp shades! I think I will make fabric roses to add in strategic places, yes?
No comments:
Post a Comment