Pages

20 July 2011

Vegan Crepes with bananas and strawberries...

Yesterday I made vegan crepes from a recipes found on VegWeb. It's one of many that I printed to try, this one wasn't too bad.

Ingredients:
3 teaspoons Ener-G Egg Replacer + 4 Tablespoons of water (I bought mine at Sunflower Market)
1 Cup unbleached flour
1 1/2 Cups nondairy milk (I used almond milk)
2 Tablespoons canola oil
dash vanilla

Directions:

  1. Mix egg replacer and water in large bowl, then add flour and mix well.
  2. Mix in milk and whisk until lumps are gone, then add oil and vanilla.
  3. Spray small frying pan with cooking spray, heat between low and medium (play with the temperature to see what works best for your stove - I had to keep mine at medium).
  4. Using a ladle, pour some batter into pan and let cook for about 2 minutes (should shake loose and be lightly browned). Flip over and cook the other side for another minute or two. Remove from pan.
I had strawberries and bananas to top it with, but thought I would try a filling I also found on VegWeb for Banana Cream Frosting (can use as frosting on cakes and cupcakes, or as filling for crepes).

Ingredients:
1/2 Cup mashed banana (about 1 banana)
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
1 Tablespoon vegan rum (optional - I made it without)
1/4 Cup vegan butter (I used Earth Balance)
3 Cups powdered sugar

Directions:
  1. In small bowl, mash banana and mix with lemon juice to keep from turning brown. If using rum, mix into banana.
  2. In a larger bowl, cream the butter until it is soft and fluffy (I used my hand mixer to quickly do the job).
  3. Add banana mixture and sugar; continue mixing until fluffy (if you added rum, you might need to add a little more sugar to thicken frosting).
Here's a picture of the finished product...

It was pretty good and I obviously had leftovers! In fact, I had it again this morning. As a note, the frosting was really rich (I don't like rich tasting things) so it wasn't really enjoyable yesterday, but I put the leftovers in the fridge overnight and this morning, not only was the frosting thicker (more suited for frosting a cake), but it wasn't as rich as it was yesterday. I enjoyed the crepes much more today!

No comments: