Pages

11 September 2011

I remember...

On this ten year anniversary of 9/11, I reflected on the events of that day... I remember hearing the news while I was getting ready that morning. We lived in Southern California at the time and my dad had turned the news on to watch the events unfold. The first tower was already in flames when I first saw the screen. I stood, riveted to the screen, watching in horror as the second plane hit the second tower. I was on auto pilot as I drove towards the coast to work. I don't remember anything about that particular commute other than the fact I was listening to the news on the radio as I drove. I would occasionally look at the other cars around me, wondering if the drivers knew what was going on across the country on the east coast. Did they know we were under attack?  I am not sure how I managed to get to work, I just did.

When I arrived, I numbly walked towards my office and after a few minutes was told that the bank of televisions in one of the side rooms was turned on and people were gathering there to watch if I wanted to join them. I remember making it to the room and watching both towers burn as word poured in about the attack on the Pentagon and then Flight 93 that crashed into the ground. It would be days, even weeks before the stories would be expanded upon, but at that moment all our focus was on the two towers - and the people jumping/falling from the upper floors. Several people left the room when the news started showing the bodies falling... but I was glued to the television screen. I'm not sure if it was horror, shock, disbelief. I've found myself wondering ever since then what I would do in that situation if it came down to it. Kemsley has asked me why... I can't answer that, not for someone else. I can only speculate.

Today we watched several of the replays of old pieces on 9/11 that were run in the months following the attacks. When the one by the Italian brothers shooting the documentary that day on NYFD came on this evening, and they explained the loud booms/bangs you'd hear from time to time as a body struck the overhangs of the lobby or on the ground next to the towers... well, I had to turn it over to watch the Jets take on the Cowboys. That noise haunts me still. Those images haunt me still.

While I think it's good to remember, I think it is just as important to move forward. We should learn from the past and let it inspire or improve our futures. So, what did you learn from that day? What have you done to improve upon the past? Better yet, did you serve someone today in remembrance of those that served and gave their lives? That's really one of the best ways to remember and honor them.

Earlier tonight, a good friend posted about how we need to remember the one individual that gave His life so we could live. This year in the children's class I teach at church, we've been talking about Christ and His life and teachings. Today happened to be a conversation on his crucifixion and the events that occurred in the hours leading up to that moment in history. He suffered so we wouldn't have to... He gave His life freely, by choice, not just out of "need" but because He WANTED to. One of the most important lessons of that day is also the fact that He freely forgave those that had wronged Him. I'd like to think he was there, waiting with open arms, to welcome the victims of 9/11 home.

I love these lines from Amazing Grace:


The Lord has promised good to me.
His word my hope secures.
He will my shield and portion be,
As long as life endures.



Yea, when this flesh and heart shall fail,
And mortal life shall cease,
I shall possess within the veil,
A life of joy and peace.



So, in remembrance of this day ten years ago and the days that followed, I challenge you to serve, to love, to reflect, to forgive, and to remember His love.

May the Lord bless and keep you in His care...

No comments: