I am currently unemployed and have been for just over 7 months. Panic set in about a month ago and I feared that Christmas would be lousy...but it turned out to be one of the best I can remember. Now that the holidays are over, panic has set in once again.
I have been applying for tons of jobs, well, maybe not tons...over 50 easily. When you are on unemployment they tell you to start out by applying to jobs that fit your qualifications and then as time goes by, to downgrade your "ideal" job requirements. Which means, start applying for jobs that will pay about 1/2 of what you were previously making. I have been applying for jobs that only pay $8/hour or so (my last job I was making $20/hour) and am lucky if they take me seriously. I have spent several years as a hiring manager and I know what they think when they get a resume from someone who is obviously over-qualified for the position they applied for. You don't waste your time interviewing them because they are only using you for temporary income while they look for a more suitable position. It's not only a waste of time to interview them, but a waste of time to train them!
I am waiting to hear on such a job...It's for a front desk position at a local charter school. They are only offering $8/hour and about 35 hours per week. It wouldn't cover my rent and car payment each month let alone my additional bills. If they offer me the position, I will only take it on a temporary basis as my "real" job search will continue. Currently, I have NO income, so $8/hour is better than nothing, right? Of course, they may not call me. The day is already half over and they have yet to call as promised. The director knows that the pay is too low for me. A neighbor works there and I am sure she told the director, when they spoke about me before my interview, that I am a single parent in desperate need of a good job!
So, if for some strange reason they do offer it to me, and I take it, should I fell bad if something better comes along in a couple of weeks and I end up leaving?
No comments:
Post a Comment